- This program has passed.
Modern Food Rituals: From the Communal Table to the Global Tasting Room
Mar 9, 2015 @ 2:00 am - 6:00 am
Inspired by Gourmet Ghettos: Modern Food Rituals, a new exhibition on display at The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life, UC Berkeley scholars and Bay Area authors, artists, and food activists animate a roundtable discussion about religious and secular food rituals, the ways they engage with the growing public interest in ecology, food security, and social justice, as well as about the role of museums and exhibitions in facilitating collaboration between academic research and social engagement.
- Sue Fishkoff, Author, and Editor, j. Jewish News Weekly of Northern California
- David Gardella, Artist and Urban Agriculture Specialist, JCC San Francisco
- India Mandelkern, PhD candidate, Department of History, UC Berkeley
- Ariela Ronay-Jinich, Senior Farm Educator, Urban Adamah, Berkeley
- Kathleen Moran, Professor of American Studies, UC Berkeley
- Francesco Spagnolo, Chair, Curator of The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life, UC Berkeley
The program (10-11:30 am), presented in conjunction with the Annual Conference of the Council of American Jewish Museums, will also include a visit to the exhibition (9-10 am), and will be concluded by brunch (registration required).