Esther and Jacques Reutlinger Faculty Director
John M. Efron
John Efron is the acting Esther and Jacques Reutlinger Faculty Director of The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life. He is also the Koret Professor of Jewish History and serves as the Helen Diller Family Faculty Director of the Center for Jewish Studies at UC Berkeley.
His publications include:
- Defenders of the Race: Jewish Doctors and Race Science in Fin-de-Siècle Europe (Yale UP, 1994)
- Jewish History and Jewish Memory: Essays in Honor of Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi (University of New England Press, 1998), co-edited with Elisheva Carlebach and David Myers
- Medicine and the German Jews: A History (Yale UP, 2001)
- German Voices of the Jewish Sixties co-edited with Michael Brenner (2014)
- The Jews: A History (Routledge, 3rd edition 2019), with Steven Weitzman and Matthias Lehmann
- German Jewry and the Allure of the Sephardic (Princeton UP, 2016)
Efron is an elected fellow of the American Academy for Jewish Research.