In 1967, the Judah L. Magnes Museum established its Western Jewish History Center, which was the first regional Jewish history center in the U.S., and remains the largest archive of this kind in the Western United States. The holdings of the Western Jewish History Center evolved into the Western Jewish Americana Archives, which center on the history of Jewish immigration and community engagement in the San Francisco Bay Area and the thirteen Western states since the Gold Rush.
The holdings of the Western Jewish Americana Archives are unique, as they combine two fields of research that have often been investigated in separate ways: the history of the American Jewish experience and the history of California and the American West.
Current descriptions and finding aids for the collections of the Western Jewish Americana Archives are available in this website, as highlighted by the entries that appear in this page. These collection descriptions may be browsed by Creator name. Individuals and family creators are listed by last name (for example: Kahn, Julius or Lilienthal family). Institutional creators are listed by full name (for example: Eureka Benevolent Society or Jewish Council of 1933). Congregational records are listed under the proper name of the Congregation (for example: Emanu-El or Beth Israel). The descriptions of collections that have fuller collection guides or finding aids also include links to those documents (in PDF format). In order to view these guides you may need to download Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader. Please note that the collection guides (or finding aids) are in varying stages of completion. Some collections have fully realized finding aids and others only simple container lists.
The archival collections are also integrated with the Museum and Library holdings, and the broader cultural context resulting from this integration can be reconstructed by searching our online database.
To go directly to a specific entry, begin typing a name (e.g. "Haas," "Jewish Community Center," or "Emanu-El") in the filter box below. To search for a name or term that may not be included in a collection's title, use the search box at the top of this page, or go to the advanced search page.
UPDATE: Western Jewish Americana Collections Begin to be Available to the Public at The Bancroft Library
Collections listed below are (or will soon be) open to researchers. Check the record for each collection for availability status.
Many of these collections are stored off-site and must be requested a few days ahead of your visit to the Bancroft Library. Please check UC Berkeley's Library Catalog, OskiCat, for each collection for locations and details on access.
You can request information about these materials by submitting an online research request form.
Edward Bransten was born in 1906 to Edward Brandenstein (b. 1870-d. 1948) and Florine (Haas) Brandenstein (b. 1881-d. 1973). Edward spent 56 years working in the family's coffee business (MJB Coffee), serving as the company's president and then as honorary chairman before the company was sold to Nestle in 1985. Edward Bransten married Cathryn Scheeline in 1938. Cathryn's parents were Harry Scheeline and Norma Fox. Edward and Cathryn had three children, Patricia (b. 1940), Carol (b. 1944), and Barbara (b. 1951).
San Francisco resident and shoemaker who worked in an army goods store. His wife, Katie Keyle Braverman, was involved with the Workmen's Circle.
Poetry written by the Bravermans; songbooks and programs of the Workmen's Circle and Histadrut (the Israeli labor federation); clippings about Grodno, Poland (now Belarus); and letters from Braverman to his wife and children, together with letters from the Motles family, relatives of the Bravermans in Grodno to whom the Bravermans sent packages and money. Also a photograph of Abram Braverman.
Boris Bresler was born in 1918 and raised in a Russian émigré Jewish community in Harbin, China. He immigrated to the United States in 1937 and in 1946 joined the faculty in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. Following his retirement from the University he established Benmir Books, a small publishing house specializing in translations, reprints, and original works of high quality on Jewish themes. He also translated Russian prose and poetry into English.
David Michael Bronstein was born in the Ukraine in 1880 and learned the tailoring trade from his father. He immigrated to the United States in 1900 and found work making ladies' clothing in Boston. In 1907, Bronstein moved to Berkeley, California, where he operated a tailoring business that served some of Berkeley's most prominent men. He opened his first shop on Allston Way and then became an associate of the firm Nish and McNeil. In the 1920s, Bronstein established a partnership with local tailor Fred Miller.
Rachel Bubes attempted to bring her brother-in-law, Haim Stankkevich, and his family to the U.S. Eventually, the Stankkevich family was able to immigrate to the U.S., after first moving from Shanghai, China, and then living in Vancouver, Canada.
Elliot Burstein served as a rabbi for San Francisco's Congregation Beth Israel for forty-two years (1927-1969). Before that, he served as a rabbi for congregations Montefiore in Salt Lake City (1923-1926) and Ahavai Sholom, in Portland, Ore. (1926-1927). With the assistance of Rabbi Saul E. White, he founded the Northern California Division of the American Jewish Congress.
Hiram Bushell, born in Russia in 1882, arrived in Sacramento, California in the 1920s and opened a small hardware store. In 1934, during the Great Depression, he went to the Yankee Hill Work Camp that was located near Sacramento.
Organized in 1921 to assist Jewish college students, particularly those at the University of California at Berkeley.
Collection consists of records of the California Alliance of Jewish Women, including articles of incorporation, by laws, scattered minutes, membership lists, programs, clippings, and miscellaneous financial documents.
Michael Caminetsky was born in Russia. In 1882, he immigrated to and settled in Winnipeg, Canada. He was a founder of two synagogues in Winnipeg: Shaarey Zedek (1890) and Rosh Pina (1892).
Chevra Shaare Refooah was a society organized in 1890 in San Francisco to provide relief for sick members of the Jewish community and their families and to see to it that dying members of the community departed and were buried according to Jewish law.
Chi Phi Sigma was an Oakland, California club for Jewish girls between the ages of 16 and 18. The club was organized in 1937 for social and philanthropic pursuits.
The collection consists of scrapbooks that document the activities of Chi Phi Sigma, a teenage girls club based in Oakland, California, for the years 1937-1943. The scrapbooks have photographs, club documents, newsletters, and copies of newspaper clippings. The collection also contains some undated color photographs that document some later experiences of some of the club's members.
Harriet Ashim (1843-1925) was the daughter of California pioneers Morris B. and Rachel Ashim. She married Isidore Nathan Choynski, prominent San Francisco antiquarian bookseller. Harriet was born in London, spent her early childhood in Louisville, Kentucky, and came to San Francisco in 1850 with her family.
Sara Cogan worked as a bibliographer for the Western Jewish History Center of the Judah L. Magnes Museum from 1967 through the mid-1970s. She compiled three annotated bibliographies during her tenure. Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1939, Cogan attended public schools in Portland, Oregon and received a B.A. From Mills College in Oakland, California in 1960. In 1966, she received her M.L.S from UC Berkeley. She married Nathan F. Cogan and had three children.
Jewish scholar and resident of San Francisco, Calif.
|Wolf Cohen, an immigrant from Lithuania, was a businessman in San Francisco, Calif.|
Henry Cohn was born in 1831 in Dobrzyn, a town on the Polish-Prussian border. He came to the United States in 1852 and settled in Saint Louis, California and Poker Flat, California, both of which are located in the Gold Country of California. Cohn became an American citizen in Downieville, California and operated a store in Poker Flat between 1857 and 1863. He was a freemason and member of Saint Louis Lodge No. 86. Henry returned to Germany in 1864 and remained there until his death in 1915.
Mary Cohn was born in China; she also lived in Hawaii and in San Mateo, California.
The collection contains Mary Cohn’s papers and a few photographs of her and members of her family.
The Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries and Landmarks was formed in 1962 to assist in the preservation of pioneer Jewish cemeteries located in the California Mother Lode. It currently holds title to six pioneer Jewish cemeteries at Jackson, Mokelumne Hill, Sonora, Grass Valley, Nevada City, and Placerville, Calififornia, marking the Gold Rush era beginning of Jewish settlement in northern California. Following tradition, the Jewish pioneers first communal activity was to found burial societies.
Beth Israel was founded in 1860 as the first conservative congregation west of Chicago. Its first building was on Sutter near Stockton. The congregation was in its fourth building at Geary and Octavia at the time of the 1906 earthquake. The cornerstone had been laid for a new building at 1839 Geary near Fillmore in 1905.